Sunday, February 22, 2015

5.



I stood in front of Dreamwood Terrace, unable to move. The wind tangled my hair. I watched people move around me as the sun beat down upon the sidewalk. Today was the day. The anniversary of my parents death.  I watched the fountain trickle slowly into the basin. I knew I should probably move. I had to get to work, but I felt paralyzed. A man to my right  jostled me into the street, closer to the fountain. I peered into the basin, only to find myself staring into the eyes of a girl I didn't recognize. Her lips  looked blue, her hair wild, and her cheeks flushed. Startled by my haunting reflection, I took a step back, landing on a searing hot tile by the fountain. Before I could even register what was happening, a blue subaru  came careening out of nowhere. Its horn blaring and its headlights flashing, it was clear I wouldn’t get out of the way in time. As I let out a desperate scream, I felt myself being pushed out of the way by a man next to me. Although out of  the car’s path, I was launched into the ever widening pothole to my left. All I could see was a flashing blue light as I fell farther and farther into the hole. Is this what it feels like right before you die? The fear of suffering the same fate as my parents overtook me, and I blacked out.

I woke up surrounded by clothes in the back of a storage closet, but I felt surprisingly calm. I was alive. I felt shocked and physically drained, but I knew I would be okay. Today, the very day my parents lost their life, I had faced the same fate and survived. For the first time since I got to Dreamwood Terrace, I knew I was going to be okay.

6 comments:

  1. Just saw your comment. The hole I push you into is the bottomless hole near O'Harley's, not the pothole. I'm interested to see your take on my attempted murder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog post is up! I mentioned you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. Sorry I'm so late -- I didn't keep great track of my homework over break. I mentioned you in my latest blog. I'm a bit confused with Cole though. I wrote my blog thinking that I was involved with the pothole stuff, but I evidently was not. I may go back and revise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a conflict with the death of her family and feelings of being indebted to Jasmine which is why she is back in dreamwood. There is also a conflict with helping out at New Hope or following her career goals which can't happen in Dreamwood. She connects with the rest of the group through her job and has an obvious strong relation with Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to know more about jasmine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My post is up. Enjoy your death.

    ReplyDelete