Monday, January 5, 2015

2.


Today I got a job.  Working at the minute clinic could never rival the research I was doing in Argentina, but I didn't come back here to make medical history. Im here to help Christina with the children's home.  She's been overwhelmed ever since Jasmine died, and since Jasmine practically raised me the least I can do is help New Hope get back on its feet. But that doesn't mean I need to give up my career all together.

You never know who will walk in the minute clinic. Today I treated a spunky five year old with poison ivy, vaccinated an angsty teen against HPV, and diagnosed an eighty year old's bladder infection. The city has been hit with a particularly bad case of the flu, and so the waiting room was packed with sniffling patients of all ages. On the bright side, I get to work with one of my childhood friends Brian. Today we caught up over waffles at brunch. Brian and I have been friends ever since we were lab partners in AP Chemistry. I think just about every women in this city has her sights set on Brian, and he is completely oblivious. It's pretty hilarious, especially since Brian wasn't such hot stuff back in the tenth grade. We were just those nerdy kids that got way too excited about the kidney dissections. 


Just as I was walking out of the clinic, a man came in with a minor abrasion on his leg. He smelled of smoke, but seemed to be dusted in what looked like pink glitter. It all seemed a little strange if you ask me. I had to get back to the children's home, and so Brian checked him out. Looking at his face one more time as I walked out, I was sure I had seen him before. Oh well, let Brian deal with guy. It was time for me to get dinner ready back at New Hope. 

1 comment:

  1. Hazel -- I also work with the children's home and I mentioned you in passing in my second blog.

    ReplyDelete